For some odd reason I might have assumed that my most recent labor was going to go the way I had it all planned. The baby was going to eat the way I assumed my other babies have eaten and when I wanted her to eat. The baby would sleep when I thought she should sleep. My body would perform the way I assumed it should perform. And everything was going to be hunky-dory.
But this has been the LONGEST three weeks of my life. For those of you who prefer c-sections over the more "traditional" method of delivery.....for the record, I think you're nuts. (Prepare to hear me whine)
I have been slightly miserable. (My husband would say thats an understatement)
How many more times do I have to be told that "I just had major abdominal surgery?" I guess I needed to be reminded since I never in a million years thought it would be happening to me and never did any kind of reading/studying on the topic. I still have done little reading on the recovery and just decided to wing it. Not the smart approach, but the approach I took. Ignorance is bliss...at least temporarily. When Jiggs was 2 weeks old I began having a few "issues" with my incision. I guess if I would have read a little bit I would have known it was "normal." I think its strange, the doctors say its normal.
I then began getting headaches and I was feeling really, really tired. SLEEP was my friend and my head felt like I was in a fog. Fever soon came. I attributed it to my body being out of whack and hormones. After a few days of that I woke up to a very bad pain in one of my breasts. For sure a clogged milk duct. I was dedicated to the nursing thing and I knew this was just one side affect. But it hurt a lot. I did a little research on the internet to find some answers and went to the Urgent Care.
Turns out I have Mastitis.
Holy Cow. I never had this problem when I was nursing before. It turns out the flu symptoms I had been experiencing was a symptom of the infection. So---after a nice shot of antibiotic (in my booty...thanks) and a prescription for more antibiotic I was set to go. I knew the fly symptoms weren't in my head and as miserable as I was, I was happy to know where they were coming from. All of this pain so that I could feed Baby Jiggs! I thought about quitting, but I just couldn't stand the thought of it. Pain or no pain the show must go on! :)
I am up a lot at night these days. As expected I guess. I have my best premonitions as I sit on the edge of my bed at all hours of the night feeding Baby Jiggs. Then when daylight breaks my brain turns to mush. (All I can seem to worry about is when will Jiggs take that LONG nap so that I can catch one too)
I am waiting for the day where I feel like I have everything down and its "easy." Don't all laugh at me at once.
Maybe its because when I look around me to other new moms with babies they make it look easy. Even though this is our third, I feel like its all new again. I want to know their dirty little secrets and tips. ---Or I want an "Easy Button." Yes....I will take whatever I can get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....
So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

5 comments:
Oh Katie me and my boobs feel for you. I always cringe a little when someone talks about nursing. It brings back many not so loving bonding memories. Here's to hoping the next 3 weeks go smoother than that last 3. If you need anything call. I am down to just one during some days!
I am a pro at the infection thing. With baby #3 I left the hospital with mastitis! I've had it a minimum of 3 times with each baby. Just keep going it does get better.
Just speaking for myself, and not being pessimistic but realistic, life seems a little more manageable and less frustrating when I just plan on everything going really slow and not as I plan. Then, I'm pleasantly surprised when it ends up close to how I would really like. Let me know if I can somehow help you get a nap. And, things will get better!
Can I just say you made me really nervous for December? I'm sorry to hear it hasn't been a great 3 weeks. I really do hope it gets better. I always feel like it gets better at 6 weeks.
P.S. The moms that make it look easy are faking it and screaming into a pillow. At least your honest.
Post a Comment