What a week it was!
Sunday I woke up with a cold sore. UGH.
I popped a prescription pill and took a nap before church. On the way to church I commented to Luke that I was having some pain in the lower right part of my abdomen. I didn't pay much attention to it the rest of the afternoon.
By the time we got home from church I was feeling queasy. It was at its worst by 6pm and I was curled up in bed. My whole abdomen was aching and I felt really queasy. I woke up after midnight and was feeling a little better but I still have this throbbing pain inthe lower right part of my abdomen. When I woke up on Monday morning I headed out to the Urgent Care...who sent me over to the ER.
I checked myself in and they hooked up to an IV, took blood and did a CT scan.
The CT scan wasn't able to show the appendix, so I remained in the ER the rest of the afternoon, drugged up on pain medicine, seeing in total three different doctors. Final verdict was I could be discharged after I drank a nice concoction that was going to clean me out. If I still had the pain in the morning I was to head over to the surgeon's office for another exam. I drank two small containers of thick orange syrup and then a "sparkling lemon laxative."
It was soooooooo disgusting.
It could've been worse...I know this. I have had to drink some nasty stuff in the name of medicine.
They discharged me around dinner time and I headed home to sit on the toilet in peace! :) Oh, it was going to be a great night.
(Thankfully Luke's mom came down to help out so Luke was able to come visit with me twice during the day)
I fell asleep after I got home and woke up a few hours later at 9pm. I thought for sure something was alive in my abdomen. The pain....the cramping.
Heaven help me.
I'm really looking forward to when I have to do this again for a colonoscopy. :)
The next morning (Valentine's Day) I went to see the surgeon and he gave me another exam, as well as checked for a hernia. His best guess was an ovarian cyst. Thankfully, the pain was only half as bad as the day before, which was a good indicator that it wasn't appendicitis.
Nobody wants to have surgery, but Monday as I laid in the ER I was trying to calculate how I was going to squeeze in getting my appendix removed with everything else going on and missing work.
My prayers were answered...once again.
I followed up with my doctor this morning and he told me they should have done a pelvic ultrasound in the ER, to verify what it was. If it was a cyst, it sounded like it had burst and it wouldn't show up now in an ultrasound.
Perfect.
On the bright side, the gift Luke got me for Valentine's Day arrived Wednesday night while he was at a school board meeting....which meant he didn't get to see me squeal with delight when I opened the package. (You like my Adidas sweat pants Im modeling with them?!) :)
He also got me Kings "Jimmer" ladies jersey that I can't wait to wear. It sure would be nice to see a game before the season ends. :(
Let's just say this was a Valentine's day/week I would rather forget--with the exception of the Frye boots and the jersey. :) I'm no fool!
Apparently the cyst thing is fairly common in women, BUT it has caused me to reflect on the preventative care of my body. I have scheduled a few other appts with other doctors. I guess I better take better care of this body since it's the only one I get!


No comments:
Post a Comment