Monday, February 23, 2009

Meet Jack

Bubba's birthday is this week and the one thing he wanted was....a hamster. Why, I have no idea. I kind of pretended to be the supportive mother, but I did a crappy job. Good thing the boys have their father! :)
We have a busy week and tonight was the only good night to take the boys to pick one out. After Luke got off work he surprised the boys with a ride to the pet store. I can't tell you which one, because I am about to make fun of the "hamster whisperer" who sold it to us. LOL
Yes--that's right---the hamster whisperer. Complete with long dread locks and more information than the world wide web. As she explained the hamster's potty habits I asked her how often to change the liner and if they stink. She looked at me with all seriousness and said, "They don't stink, WE stink..............We stink for not cleaning them. At first, because of the long serious pause I didn't know if she really meant we stink to them. But when I saw Luke rolling his eyes behind her I figured out what she meant.
There were two "long haired teddy bear" hamsters to choose from...and they were both girls. If anyone knows Bubba, he is pretty anti-girl----so Luke lied and told him they were boys. Bubba then proceeded to ask the hippychick who could not lie, even though Luke was giving her all the signals. She looked right at Bubba and said its a girl. Luke then just told Bubba she was kidding and we tried to get the exchange over as quickly as possible. It was an experience I will never forget. Its the boys first real pet! Tubbs' birthday is in April and he is all ready talking about having his own hamster. Oh yay!
Ok---on to the hamster cage---which we forked $50 out on. Are you kidding me? On the drive home I was telling Luke, "Watch, we'll know someone who has an extra cage somewhere after we forked out all that money!" So--if you have a cage laying around somewhere I don't want to hear about it. And if you have any horror hamster tales I don't want to hear those either. I read that the life expectancy of a hamster is 2-3 years. I am hoping "Jacky" won't be around that long.
One thing I love to do is watch my husband put together things that are "poorly engineered." At least that's what he calls them. There seems to be one common component in these projects and that's my frustrated husband who can't seem to get it put together without rigging something up. Thankfully with this cage, he didn't have any leftover pieces.
"Jack in the Box"
Jack in the Poorly Engineered Cage

2 comments:

kristi said...

We would NEVER have an extra cage for anything at our house, especially rodents. YUCK!!! I pray that my children never ask for one and that we can find an acceptable alternative. Good luck!

Carianne said...

Ewww! You are a better mom than me. There is NO WAY I am letting a rodent in my house. Besides the fact that they are gross, I am so afraid of them. So, when I come over make sure "she" is put away or I WILL cry!

I have been REALLY sick! I stayed in bed all day, well sorta. I had to take care of the kiddos and it was my Tuesday to have my nieces so whenever I could I hobbled to my bed and curled up with the heating pad. I think I am dying. LOL I feel better today. Once I am recovered I WILL come over for "Carianne Home Evening."

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008