Monday, August 10, 2009

Smug's Treasure

Thank goodness we have Luke to spice up our lives around here. I don't know how the boys or I would survive without him. He is always thinking of ways to surprise the boys and make things interesting. One thing the boys like to do with Luke is go on a "secret bike ride." Sometimes they go alone with Luke, sometimes they go together. Its a good way for Luke to talk privately with the boys because they all ready seem to think their mom is lame! :)

Anyways, on these "secret" bike rides they explore areas that are out near new construction and mostly dirt and fences. There is a new rod iron fence put up around a dirt field near the park and the boys call it the "secret passage." Luke thought it would be fun to put together a treasure map and hide a treasure box somewhere near the "secret passage." I think almost any idea he has is great so I agree that the boys would love it.

So, last Thursday Luke is home a little later than usual so that he can go hide the treasure box. When he gets home he is in a hurry to eat dinner because he doesn't someone else to find the treasure box. After dinner Luke nonchalantly drops a wad of crumpled up papers in the front yard, one of which is the treasure map. When Bubba comes outside for the bike ride he asks Bubba to throw away the trash he found. Bubba starts looking through the papers and finds the treasure map. The boys get all excited and the three of them take off on their bikes. They were gone for about 30-40 minutes. When they got home they were so wound up and excited...and hot. They told me ALL about the treasure and the map they found. It was so priceless to see their faces and how excited they were. Bubba was so good at reading the map and the clues, he kept talking about how lucky they were the rest of the night. He even slept with the treasure box.
The Treasure Hunters....

Treasure box!
Eight dollars....the boys are rich!
I feel so fortunate that even though Bubba is seven, he is still my little boy and would never guess it was his daddy who put the whole thing together. I love that Luke's imagination and creativity helps spark the same thing in Bubba and Tubbs. I am also thankful for the little bit of peace and quiet I get while they are on their "private" bike rides in the evenings. I can lay on the couch with my feet up in complete silence and read---which is something that I won't be able to do that much longer. :)
Thank you Luke for all that you do for our little boys. I can't wait to see what you come up with for our little girl! LOL

1 comment:

Carrie said...

That is SO ADORABLE! What a great dad.

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008