Saturday, July 17, 2010

San Diego 2010

Its been about 3-4 years (I think) since the last time we went to San Diego. EVERY time we go Luke and I tell each other we need to come back more often. One of the most important reasons to go is family; my 90 year old grandma and my aunt/uncle live there. Its tradition to meet up with them for the first or second night we are in town at Hometown Buffet for dinner. That way everyone can eat whatever they want... and make as big of a mess as we want. It works out pretty well.


Anyways---this lil' 4 day trip was jam packed. We had so many things we wanted to do!
We left early on a Wednesday morning and headed to Legoland in Carlsbad. We have been here 2-3 times before and we all enjoy it because its so family oriented.

It was so nice to actually be wearing sweatshirts in the morning while it was scorching hot back home!



By the facial expressions below, you can see why I am worried about this kid getting behnd the wheel in another 8 years....

Apple Fries! My favorite thing about Legoland.

Getting ready to go on a roller coaster together for the first time. Loved it. So did the boys....surprisingly.

Of course it wouldn't be a family vacation if someone wasn't feeling well. On the way down Bubba was complaining about his ear hurting. He has had ALOT of ear infections and he has never complained...which meant "swimmer's ear."
Great.
Lucky for us we were able to call our doctor and he phoned in a prescription to a pharmacy by our hotel. I love our doctor!

Day 2 - We had Park Hopper tickets and the second day was free so we checked out Legoland's Water Park and New Sea Life Aquarium. All I can say is I am glad the second day was free because I didn't particularly think either of the new parks would be worth the upgraded admission. (Of course, mom is the party pooper and the kids loved it!)

Petunia and I had to get a picture with the princess.

I wanted to stuff a bunch of these Lego foam-thingies in the stroller and take them home...but I didn't. They were so neat.





Day 3 - San Diego Zoo
As a child we went to the zoo alot. I think every time we came to visit family we went to the zoo. I don't think I have ever been to another zoo because I didn't think anything could beat this zoo! :)

This trip we were lucky to meet up with my friend Sarah and her two kids who live an hour from SD and have season passes to the zoo. Sarah and I became great friends in 9th grade but ended up moving to Oahu the summer before our senior year. I was so sad!!

The boys got along great with Sarah's little boy and Petunia had a lil' friend who is celebrating her first birthday in a few weeks.
It was perfect.


Help meeeeeee......

Posing with my favorite hats:


The fam damily at the end of the day.

After walking every square inch of the zoo we all headed to "Fuddrucker's." Then we parted ways! Thank you Sarah for coming to see us with your cutie pa-tooties. I had a wonderful day.


Day 4 - Old Town
First stop in Old Town was the Mormon Batallion Historical Site. We had heard from a friend the week before it was fabulous and they weren't lying. I LOVED it...and the boys really had a good time. So, if you are ever in SD you have to save an hour and do the tour. Its funny, entertaining, interesting, thought provoking.....
You won't be disappointed.

Panning for gold after the tour.




Afterwards we walked over to Old Town Mexican Cafe for lunch. Luke says the salsa was the best he's ever had. I might have to agree. Then we tried a fresh, warm flour tortilla made with chocolate from the "Coyote Cafe."
Very interesting! :)
So--as always, I hated to leave San Diego.
We left Saturday afternoon saying the same thing every time: "We need to visit more often!"
There were other places I wanted to take the kids, but it will have to wait for another trip. The weather was of course very cooperative. Only one day of overcast skies and it was a NICE break from the heat at home.

1 comment:

Krissy said...

That's funny my cousin owns the Cafe Coyote!!

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008