Lucky for me I was was able to find a Cracker Barrel for us to grub before we started the drive. I found the Cracker Barrel last summer in Florida and haven't had it since. I was craving their blueberry pancakes and hashbrown casserole.
Mmmmmm....
After my mom bought a few things from the gift shop we hit the road. 234 miles to go.
When we arrived in Moab we checked in to the motel and then headed out to Arches National Park. After a 15 minute drive we arrived and explored some of the rocks and arches.
Monday night we decided on "Smitty's Steak House" for dinner. We weren't sure how edible it would be ....and frankly at this point I was tired of eating "out."
I was craving fresh fruit and vegetables.....and cereal and milk.
Sounds like a delicious combination. Mmmmmmmmmm
After dinner we head to what I think was the only market in town. I don't think I have seen so many strange looking people in my life---and I grew up in Lake Isabella! :) I overheard one woman reading ingredients from some organic ice cream label to her 2 toddlers. And everyone else in the check-out line looked like they needed something besides tofu and wheat grass!
Tuesday morning it was time to hit the trails. We scarfed down some cereal, juice and chocolate donettes in our motel room and we were off.
Our first trail "Klondike Bluff" was rated "moderate" but we were in search of a supposed dinosaur print. When we finally found it, we were sorely disappointed. The boys didn't seem to care, but my dad said he was going to tell everyone it was 8 feet wide. (Unfortunately I think it was only 5-6 inches wide. Lame!) I don't know who considered it a dinosaur print, but since it was in the trail guide we figured it was worth checking out.
Our second and last trail of the day was "Hell's Revenge."
Doesn't that sound like a great trail to take your pregnant wife and 2 children on?! :)
My thoughts exactly.
This trail was rated "difficult" because it was on slick rock-- but my husband assured me it was overrated because he had taken it before. Unfortunately I bought his story and agreed to go.
I am not against a little rock crawling but when there are "ledges" or cliffs that would kill me if we went overboard---I get a little nervous.
(The co-owner of Poly-Performance on "Escalator Hill")
After a long, nerve racking day on the trails we enjoyed some pizza and salad at "Zax's." My mother informs Luke and my dad that she didn't understand the whole four wheeling thing---"You either have to be mentally handicapped or retarded to like this hobby." Luke and my dad just laughed.
After dinner we head back to the room and I share with my husband my dislike of ledges and cliffs. I told him I would not be joining him on the trails on Wednesday. He smiled and said that was fine. I then remind him of my quad accident in 2007 and told him that no matter how confident I thought I was on that trail -- accidents happen! Another quote of the day for Luke when he in responds "That's because you're the weak link." We both laugh and I give him the "look." I do appreciate him making me laugh after what seemed to be a long day.
Later that evening Luke, my dad, brother and the boys go to "Potato Salad Hill" to go watch crazy (drunk) idiots roll their vehicles down this mountain. I got to enjoy some quiet time in the room and took a hot shower. When they returned they had decided we should leave the following day to head home---as opposed to staying one more night.
(Should I yelp with glee or tell them to stay and have their fun?!) :)I decide to go the "supportive wife route" and try to convince them to stay.My dad consults my mom and they decide to get up early Wednesday morning, do one more trail and then check out of the motel by 11am.
Sounds good to me!
Wednesday morning came and the boys and I slept in, packed up the room and were ready to go by 11am. The guys made it back from their last trail in one piece, we loaded up the Jeep for the 3rd time this trip---and headed home. We couldn't decide if we should stay the night in Vegas or try to make the complete 741 miles in one day.
We opted for Las Vegas! I do have to tell you that for $37 we stayed in a nice joint. I highly recommend it---the Orleans Hotel and Casino http://www.orleanscasino.com/.
My boys were impressed because there was a phone next to the toilet.
Luke was impressed because the AC unit was actually controlled by a thermostat on the wall and not a dial on the unit. I was just happy to have a comfortable bed to pass out on after a long, WINDY drive across southern Utah.
Thursday morning we were motivated to get home! As we each drug our luggage through the casino to the valet parking I pointed out a huge sign hanging from the ceiling that said "Easter 7X the Points!" I pointed it out to my dad who gets the quote of the day:
"Forget Jesus! I am heading here on Sunday!"
Needless to say we were counting down every mile on the GPS Thursday. My parents decided to follow us home and stay one day at our place instead of heading back to their place in northern California. Luke and my dad planned another day of four wheeling for Friday up in Keysville. (These guys can't get enough I guess)
Proof that I just can't get a break: My first load of laundry comes out of the dryer Friday morning. I see red and yellow grease stains all over EVERYTHING. As I dump everything out of the dryer I find crayon wrappers on the table. A perfect way to end our little adventure. Lucky for me most of the clothes are winter clothes and we are quickly approaching shorts and t-shirts!
After a cold week in Utah I am ready. Bring on the heat!









No comments:
Post a Comment