Monday, June 8, 2009

Taking Care of Brother

A few months ago Tubbs figured out that at bedtime if he didn't want to go to sleep in his own bed, he could ask "Can Bubba could take care of me tonight?"
It was so cute and with the sincere, pouty look on his face, we couldn't say no.
So---a few days of the school week we would tuck them in together in Bubba's top-bunk. I think one of the reason's Bubba was up for the challenge was 1)He would have his buddy to coke and joke with until he fell asleep and 2) this might ensure he wouldn't get woken up in the middle of the night by Tubbs' crying. Bubbs is our sleeper and he requires at least 8-9 hours of sleep each night. (Tubbs is the polar opposite) Bubba can sleep through almost anything and at 7 years old will still nap for 2-3 hours if given the chance! So, if Tubbs wakes up in the middle of the night screaming because he is scared, it will occasionally wake Bubba up. Bubba gets so annoyed, but I have seen him crawl down from his bunk bed and take Tubbs by the hand and take him down to our room. (He is such a good big brother when he wants to be). Since its warmed up (and PG&E prices have gone up 25%) Luke and I have two fans in our room now on each side of the bed. Because of this we can't hear the boys as well as we used to if they call for us. Nevertheless, I feel bad that Tubbs sits in his bed and cries out for one of us until either Bubba wakes up or we wake up and go get him.

Anyways---last night around 9pm it was time to put the boys to bed. They hadn't had one of their best days so they were in a little trouble by 9pm. Considering they got to stay up that late, when Tubbs asked if he could sleep with Bubba we told him no. Tubbs went into hysterics and was very upset. 2 minutes after we tucked both the boys in, Tubbs comes wandering into the den where Luke and I were watching TV. With his little tear-filled eyes he asks Luke if he will come lay down by him in a little while. Luke promises he will.

10 minutes pass and its quiet, so I know Tubbs has fallen asleep. I went into the bedroom to check on the boys and this is what I found:

Clever little Tubbs knew that he wasn't going to wait for daddy to come lay down by him---so crawled up on the top bunk and burrowed in. He even brought his own pillow. (Little turd)

2 comments:

The Queen Bee said...

We are just now "breaking" 2 of ours from sleeping together. We let them do it for a long time (I got to sleep through the night that way) but now that K is getting older we decided it was better. They both sleep well apart now.

AmyPoll said...

Hey...I think that is soooooo sweet. I am all for letting them stay close if they are getting along. I LOVE the picture!!! What a great big brother!!!

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008