Bubba has never been really big on birthdays. He is my child that doesn't want to get old....or get anyone else to get old. This was the first year he didn't seem melancholy or telling people it wasn't a big deal. I hope it's a sign that he is moving past all of those bad thoughts and maturing.
Monday evening, Bubba fell asleep earlier than usual and before anyone else in the house. My parents sent down some birthday money for him, so I thought it would be fun to roll up the cash and stick it in eleven balloons. Tubbs helped me stick the money in, blow them up and hang them from above Bubba's bed. Bubba sleeps like a rock, so it was pretty easy to do. We kept the lights off in the room, but the hallway light was all we needed.
Birthday morning Bubba woke up while I was in the shower getting ready for work, so I didn't get to see him find the balloons. I wish I would've had his reaction on video to see what he thought when he first woke up. He really liked popping the balloons to retrieve his cash.
For Bubba's birthday breakfast, he requested dad's famous chocolate croissants....or as Wiggy calls them, "bee-sontz."
Luke even made Bubba an extra large one. Wow....that's a lot of chocolate. (I think the party pooper that dad is, also managed to force some scrambled eggs into their mouths too.)
While waiting for breakfast, Bubba was able to open his gifts from all of us. He wasn't too surprised, since it's exactly what he wanted.....more Legos!! :)
At lunch time Luke left work and picked up Bubba (and his BFF Chase) to eat lunch at Panda Express. Somehow on the way back from lunch, they also managed to sweet talk Luke into a shake from Carl's Jr. They hadn't finished their shakes when Luke dropped them off at school, so the nice lady in the front office let them finish them before going back to class.
After school the boys were given a free pass from having to go to the dojo for class. They were both giddy about that! Bubba was anxious to start building his first Lego set.
I always love birthday dinners because the kids never ask me or Luke to cook. Our infamous birthday spot is BJ's....and we all know it's for the pazookies. I am OK with that. I will make that sacrifice. While waiting for our food Bubba opened his last gift....which is a tradition now for the kids....a photo book from the last year of his life.
Bubba celebrated his birthday again, a few days later with his BFF Chase. Chase rode the bus home with Bubba to stay the night.
We took the kids to Tony's Pizza first....
Then we put together a "Photo Scavenger Hunt" for the boys to do together. Here are a few items they needed to photograph...
After they photographed all fifteen items, they received a candy bar and a $5 Target card. The boys all had a good time and I think I would do this again.
We walked over to Yogurtland for one last treat before heading home. Seriously. More sugar.
Saturday morning Chase had to go home for opening day of baseball, but we headed up to Bear Valley for a birthday party with Grandma and Grandpa Hogue. The weather was so perfect...and somehow Luke and I even managed to catch naps on the couch. It was a wonderful treat while the kids were out at the park with Grandpa.
Bubba received yet ANOTHER Lego set and he was very happy!
Happy birthday Bubba. We love you very much! I can't believe how quickly you are growing. I looked at you last night and I could picture you as a young man for the first time and not just a little bug.










No comments:
Post a Comment