On Fridays when I pick up the boys from school I like to pretend like I am a fun, cool mom and take them to get a treat. We usually go to either the Vons bakery to the Smith's bakery counter inside Brookside to get a cookie.
This last Friday we ended up at Smith's.
Darn those people for their delicious, overpriced, frosted cookie concoctions!
As we stood at the counter waiting our turn my boys practically had their noses up against the display cases. They were eyeing the "special" Christmas cookies that were slightly larger than the normal ones, but were $1-2 bucks more. When they pleaded for the pricier cookies I calmly told them no, their choices were between the Christmas tree and the star. They didn't like that answer and pleaded some more. I replied with the same answer. After about one more round of this, (and trying to be patient---Hey I wanted a cookie too!)I gave up and told them we were leaving. I turned and walked out.
You would have thought I tore Bubba's heart from his chest. He and Tubbs just lost it.
Bubba comes running up behind me as I approach the sliding doors of the store and grabs on to the back of my jeans. I remove his hands and continue walking to the car. Both the boys run up to the car door and Bubba throws his body in front of my door to block me from getting in.
I smile and try to remain calm. (You mothers out there know the calmness I am talking about)Its the moment where you want to attack, but you are in a public place---so you pretend to be the perfect mother who can handle all situations. Even when your 4 year old has thrown himself up against your filthy car door, refusing to get in the car and is now sitting on the cement....crying like he lost his best friend!
Anyways, after a few moments I am able to get myself into the driver's seat and I tell my boys they better get in the car or I am leaving them there. They quickly jump inside as I start the car and throw it into reverse.
My 6 (almost 7) year old is now screaming in the back...like a girl!
Yes, I am going to say it....like a girl! I didn't know if I should laugh...or go back inside the store and purchase duct tape! He didn't stop all the way home, which made for a very unpleasant arrival at home. I won't go into details on that one, BUT...if you close your eyes and press play on this video you will know exactly what my 1st grader sounded like at 3pm on Friday afternoon as we drove back to the house.
We were watching this movie this afternoon and when this scene played I started laughing uncontrollably!
Luke asked me what I was laughing at and I said, "This is what your son sounded like on Friday when I left the bakery." Luke started laughing and told me I had to put it on the blog!
The rest is history!
Needless, to say there will be no more fun, cool mom on Fridays after school!
Bah humbug!
Sunday, December 7, 2008
Scream
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....
So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

4 comments:
I love it! So glad to know that I'm not the only "publically perfect mom" out there. (hee hee!) I'm always intrigued by the desperate noises my children make when they feel they have no other option to get closer to what they want. While the noises can be incredibly frustrating, they're usually quite hilarious, after the fact. Oh, and I've heard that grandchildren are the reward for not killing your children. Hmmm . . .
That post made me laugh for all the right reasons. I have been there so many times before it is embarrassing. Just ask the people at the pasadena children's museum who witnessed my oldest son being dragged by the stroller he was holding onto to try and stop me from leaving the gift shop all the way to the car screaming like a girl. Somedays I would like to thank the lady who got caught on camera diciplining her child (although what she did was way out of hand) because it always makes me stop and think about making sure I use my best public-tantrum-handling behavior. You were too hard on yourself though. I would have bought a cookie for myself and ate it on the way home while my screaming children watched. Can't pass up a smith's cookie.
I completely agree with Kim (even thought I have no idea who she is!) I am such a mean mom. I make up the craziest punishments. I have had a few (ok maybe a lot) of public tantrums and it's always frustrating. Good job for not giving in!
I was a "military Mom" and in the end, my kids are the best. Keep up the good work ladies!
Post a Comment