5 Reasons I love Thanksgiving:
- I don't have to work for 5 days in a row
- I have an excuse to shop because EVERYONE else is shopping on Black Friday
- I get to eat whatever (whenever) I want because everyone else is doing it
- School plays and class "feasts"
We headed out Wednesday afternoon as soon as Luke could leave work. I waited impatiently and had the car fueled, packed up and ready.Traffic was busy as expected....but thankfully we got there in about 6 hours.
Most people hate traveling for the holidays but I love it. One thing I do hate about traveling is the food selection. We are usually in such a hurry to get there we don't pack much food and have to settle on fast food. I hate fast food.
We stopped at "Jack in the Crack" for a little potty break but found nothing on the menu that didn't make me queasy. In an effort to appease me, my husband agrees to head a little further up the road. 10 minutes north we stop at Carl's where I settle on some fried zucchini with ranch and a banana pudding shake. Doesn't that sounds delicious (and healthy)?!

We usually spend the holiday weekend with my side of the family.
Last year my parents came to our house, so this year we headed north to them. I am very grateful for my large, abnormally funny family because get togethers are never dull. There is always a story to exchange or someone to make fun of. Just kidding.
Kind of.
(My sister Sarah related a story to me where her 5 year old daughter asked her if she was going to grow up and be strange like her mother and her aunt Jody. She seemed to think I was only slightly crazy but said I did smile at her with too big of a grin). I laughed and made a mental note to try and smile even bigger the next time I saw her.
My Pocahontas Hair (Thanks to my mom)

Thanksgiving dinner was prepared and eaten at my brother Bob's house. His house is the new "party house." We picked up the sister missionaries from my parent's ward and headed over after 1pm. After we arrived my brother picked up the Elders from his ward soon after, brought them back and the fun began.
The 3 Amigos (Trying to look angelic)

The sister missionaries were a little tiffed with the elders since they wore their skirts and nylons and the elders were wearing their "P-Day" attire. I thought it was funny but I felt bad for the sister missionaries. Good thing they were good sports...and had good sense of humors. I almost offered to take them back home to change.
Anyways, we had a few hours until it was time to chow so we played "Chicken Foot." This domino game is similar to "Mexican Train" and is a smack-down, drag-out fight in our family. Every year around Christmas we play for blood and hold a championship match, complete with a trophy. Only one missionary knew how to play so we had fun teaching them how to play and taking advantage of their naivety. A dozen of us sat down to play and the rest of the family watched Indiana Jones and some college football in the living room.
("Hurry, let's drink as much sweet nectar as we can before Uncle Bob and Grandpa Baer figure out there is none left for them!")
Letting the food digest...
I love this holiday! :)








2 comments:
I got on to read your blog but was distracted because I was on the phone then came back and the background changed. I'm glad you had a good thanksgiving.
Sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad you made it home safely. Hope to see you soon!
Post a Comment