Sunday, September 7, 2008

How Rich is the Tooth Fairy?

This is the million dollar question in our house this weekend!

Simon lost his 3rd tooth on Friday night (at a friend's birthday party of all places).... but it seemed like a bigger deal than normal because it was his first top tooth to come out. Luke and I didn't discuss monetary "compensation" for this tooth and since Luke went to a late movie that night, I was left to put the boys to bed and make the tooth "swap." I took a buck out of my wallet and felt this was sufficient. Simon woke me up bright and early Saturday and showed me his little plastic bag that previously held his tooth. When I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes I could see a five dollar billed.... and mama's original one dollar bill folded up next to it. Simon declares, "The tooth fairy left me six dollars!!!"

When I found Luke a few minutes later I gave him "the look." If you are a woman you know what "the look" is. Its the look that means "what the heck were you thinking?" When Simon leaves the room this conversation takes place:

Luke: "How much did the tooth fairy leave you when you were a kid?"
Katie: "I don't know..... I can't remember. Maybe 50 cents.."
Luke: Okay... that was 30 years ago. You have to adjust for inflation!"
Katie: (Thinking to myself, "it was only 20-25 years ago, thank you very much.") Rolled my eyes and decided it was not worth a battle. "OK...Whatever."

I am glad that Simon was excited, but I need to know what the going rate for a "beaver" is these days. (Yes, at my house, we have always called teeth "beavers." At bedtime or in the morning I say "Come here and brush your beavers." Call me weird.....it wouldn't be the first time!)

So, if you are reading this post, you have a moral obligation as a parent to share your tooth fairy secrets! I need to know. I think 6 bucks was a little steep, but was a buck too cheap? Do I give more for certain teeth??
My deeper question is do I encourage Simon to pay tithing on his tooth fairy money??? When I asked him this question yesterday he wasn't too happy about it, but I got 60 cents out of him just the same. Am I the tooth fairy Nazi? Is my son going to be scarred for life every time he gets a visit from the tooth fairy? :)








6 comments:

AmyPoll said...

I guess I must be a cheapo as well, but my kids get one bright and shiny SILVER DOLLAR....not your ordinary dollar. I guess to them it seems like more than a dollar and if you go to the bank, they will gladly exchange your greens for one if they have them. I think on Devon's first tooth we gave him a silver dollar and a fifty cent piece...man were we ever splurging :) :)

Carianne said...

My kids haven't lost any teeth yet. Alexis just turned 7! The dentist said not to worry since she didn't get her first tooth until she was 13 months old. She was really good at gumming everything! :o) So, I will keep checking back to read your comments so I can get prepared.

Unknown said...

When I was young brave, Seven Bears lucky to find Dime under buffalo hide pillow in morning after losing a "Beaver." When I and my woman have children and they lose "Beavers" (or I pull them out with pliers), they receive Quarter, sometimes fifty cent piece under pillow. Seven Bears' woman still have all of young Bears' "Beavers" in plastic bag in jewelry box. Maybe she sell them back now to grand-children for $1.00 each, then they put under pillow when moon rise and get $6.00 in morning from high-pay tooth fairy.

Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle said...

Oops! Sorry about that one! Hey Katie, this is Michelle Hansen(Wimmer). I found your blog on Marcie's. Your boys are adorable! When my oldest lost her first tooth, her friends were getting 5 bucks. I caved under pressure and gave her 5 too. Then I came to my senses, somewhat, since I agree with your husband on the whole inflation thing, and she started getting between 2 and 3 dollars. I don't remember how I explained going backwards at the time, but I did make sure not to make that mistake with the next child!

Anonymous said...

Yes, six buck-a-roos is a bit much for the average child. I, as the grandmother of 3 perfect, adorable and smart grandchildern should not respond as to the "just right" amount for a front tooth. I have heard that the Tehachapi mountain tooth fairy has become more generous over the years, you know having to adjust for inflation.

However, if you ask me how much the father of this perfect grandchild received from the common un-adjusted market value tooth fairy it was as follows:
.25 cents for a regular tooth (maybe lower front).
.50 cents for molar
.75 cents for a front tooth (upper of course).

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008