Sunday, September 21, 2008

Mama's Getaway

I had the chance to get away on Friday to spend a "girl's weekend" (sorry Allen) with my friend Jessica in Irvine! I headed down early Friday morning, with a few stops along the way. After a doctor appointment in LA I decided it would be a great idea to find a "Whole Foods" Market in Santa Monica to have lunch. After a slow, scenic tour around West Hollywood I finally found one. (Did you know there is a "Little Ethiopia?" in LA? Who knew?!) There were all these Ethiopian places to eat and I thought to myself, "I thought everyone was starving in Ethiopia?! Anyways, after some great cheese pizza I decided it was a great idea to find this cupcake joint that I have always wanted to try--- "Sprinkles" in Beverly Hills. After trying to find a parking place for 30 minutes and standing in line for 20 minutes...I had my delicious cupcakes. With my delicacies in tow, I made my way to Irvine!


I should back up a little by saying I haven't seen Jessica in about 2 years. Considering the drive is 152 miles (to be exact) I can't believe its been that long. I met Jessica on June 26th 2000. I remember this date because Jessica and I were hired at Aera on the same day. What a coincidence that I met a great friend on my first day of work. A few years later she met her sweetie on the 3rd floor (Finance... ewwwww!), headed to Grad School at USC, got married and moved down south. The rest is history!






After arriving in the early afternoon, we had girl talk (sorry again Allen) for a few hours and then we headed to dinner at the Irvine Spectrum. "Cheesecake Factory" was of course delicious! Prior to leaving for dinner Jessica said she wanted to learn how to make my cinnamon rolls (yummy) so we picked up the necessities from the grocery store on the way home.

For dessert?? Cupcakes of course!



Saturday morning my "padawan" made the cinnamon rolls and I think they really liked them! They turned out great. (You can't really go wrong with butter, sugar and dough!)
We then packed up and headed to the beach! We headed to Crystal Cove in Newport Beach for a day in the sun! It was so quiet and relaxing...until a large group of women and children gathered next to us and were talking so loud over the top of each other we wondered how any of them knew what they were actually talking about. It woke me up and made me laugh! Oh yeah...and a kid threw a hand full of sand at us while trying to hit a seagull! It was funny to hear Jessica say "HEY!" At first I thought a seagull dropped a little treat on her! :)

After baking in the sun for a while and getting sand thrown at us we walked over to the Beach Comber Cafe for some lunch. Very delicious.... you'll have to check it out! I definitely cannot wait to go back and take Luke and the boys.


After baking a little longer we headed back to Jessica's for a deserved shower, dinner and of course...more cupcakes! Mmmmmm
Anyways...the weekend was fabulous. Jessica and Allen were great hosts and I had a great visit. Thanks for the weekend Jessica. I will be back for more!

Jessica and Simon in 2002


1 comment:

AmyPoll said...

I thought the same thing when I first saw the Little Ethiopia!!! Funny how our minds are programed to think things about places or people...that is why it is so hard not to judge. Looks like it was a fun trip.

That Stop Wasn't On My Itinerary....

So the Hogue's made it to Florida for our first official family vacation. It was Sawyer's first plane ride....and Simon's first plane ride that he can remember. We were excited....the boys were stoked. We had everything we needed! But it seems that Sawyer packed something with him that wasn't on our checklist: a big case of pneumonia. Yes, the little fella made it almost one whole day in Florida before he started heading downhill fast. Our 2nd day in Orlando we were in the Urgent Care south of Cocoa Beach. (By the way, to see a doctor more quickly, it helps if you vomit all over the waiting room in front of the receptionist. Little tip for ya) After chest x-rays they advised us to head to the ER in Melbourne, where they eventually admitted him to the hospital. So, we had 3 night deluxe accommadations at the Holmes Regional Medical Center. The little whipper snapper was a trooper though! The nurses loved him, thankfully, and made us all feel right at home. We were going to send postcards out with pictures of the hospital since we spent 40% of our trip there...but they didn't have any. Imagine that!Hmmm.....maybe its something they should consider.

Florida 2008